A HEALTHY Brit dad died on a family holiday at Disneyland after ingesting the killer drug fentanyl.
Philip Weybourne, 40, collapsed after going to a bar, having spent a relaxing day with wife Dorlyn and their young son.
A healthy Brit dad died on a family holiday[/caption]
Philip Weybourne was found to have fatal levels of fentanyl in his system[/caption]
He collapsed after going to a bar[/caption]
He was found to have had fatal levels on the synthetic opioid in his system. The drug is thought to have killed almost a million people in the US since 1999.
Mr Weybourne was rushed to hospital but his condition deteriorated and he died, an inquest at Maidstone County Hall heard.
Mrs Weybourne said in a statement read at the hearing: “We began our holiday at Disney World, in Orlando, Florida, on May 20, 2022.
“On May 23, we woke up late and had no theme parks to attend on that day.
READ MORE UK NEWS
Millwall fan dubbed Lion of London Bridge writes book on how he fought jihadis
Prison officer jailed after having baby following secret fling with inmate
“It was just going to be a relaxing day, we booked a meal at the Boat House, a seafood restaurant at Disney Springs which is also home to tours in vintage amphibious automobiles.
“My son and I had been shopping and met with Philip at 1pm at the Boat House.
“We had the best lunch, we drunk champagne like we did when we lived in Dubai.
“Afterwards we went on an amphibious car ride and to end our day we headed back to the hotel at about 5.30pm.”
Most read in The Sun
Giovanni Pernice hangs out with Strictly boss at after-show party
I'm A Celeb fans rage at camp 'backstabbers' and call for them to be kicked out
I'm A Celeb camp mates heartbroken as star leaves camp for good
Katie Price shows off her tattoos as she poses by pool on luxury Thailand break
NIP IN THE BUD
Budweiser have a genius plan to not waste beer after late World Cup ban
Amanda Holden reveals Christmas decorations at her mansion
Her husband wanted to carry on drinking so went to the Yacht Club hotel at Epcot Resorts Boulevard alone after showering, she explained.
But two hours later she was told he had been taken to hospital by an ambulance.
After he showered he headed to the bar.
Two hours later Mrs Weybourne heard a knock at her hotel room door and she was told that her husband had been taken in an ambulance to hospital.
Mrs Weybourne said: ‘I asked them if it was heat stroke or a heart attack.’
He was taken to AdventHealth Celebration, a small care hospital in Celebration, Florida, whose patients are often tourists visiting Disney World.
Mrs Weybourne added: ‘When I got to the hospital I didn’t see my husband. I just remember the doctor telling me his time of death, 8:06pm.’
The doctors told Mrs Weybourne that her husband had died from a cardiac arrest.
Assistant coroner Catherine Wood said: “This must have been very difficult and distressing for Mr Weybourne’s family.
“I don’t know the circumstances that led up to his death as Mr Weybourne died in another country.
‘He had no underlying health issues and I am content, after the findings of the autopsy, that his death was caused by fatal levels of fentanyl, a synthetic opioid used as a pain medication.
“I offer my sincere condolences to Mr Weybourne’s family.
Read More on The Sun
I got kicked out of the gym for my ‘inappropriate’ outfit
RISE ‘N’ SHINE
Toby Carvery brings back popular breakfast menu item following backlash
‘It must have been a great shock and not something you needed to relive at the inquest.
“I hope you can begin to rebuild your lives.”
What is fentanyl?
Fentanyl is known as a powerful synthetic opioid similar to morphine.
While fentanyl is a prescription drug, it is commonly made and used illegally.
Fentanyl is used to treat patients with severe or chronic pain, and is typically given to those who are physically tolerant to other opioids.
The National Institute on Drug Abuse reports that fentanyl can cause:
- extreme happiness
- problems breathing
When overdosing on the drug, it causes a person’s breathing to slow down or stop all together.
Once this happens, it leads to a decease in oxygen intake which causes hypoxia that can lead to a coma and permanent brain damage, or even death.